Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Shoofly Pie from 1903

Here's another interesting recipe from our Friday Old Cookbook Review book (please come back Friday for a glimpse at a book full of historic recipes). The homemaker who submitted this treasured recipe that belonged to her "Grandma Dollie", noted that Dollie and her husband, Ashford T. Miner (and their 13 children!) came to Oklahoma from Bear Strap, Texas in 1903. Mr. Miner had been a deputy sheriff in Texas, but wanted to start his own tannery business in Weleetka. I'll bet Dollie had to make two or three of these pies at a time to have enough for 15:)

Grandma Dollie's Shoofly Pie

3/4 C flour
1/2 C lt. brown sugar (packed)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 C butter
1/2 tsp soda
1/3 C boiling water
1/3 C lt. molasses
3 C canned apples
Pastry for 9" pie

Mix flour, sugar and spices; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Dissolve soda in boiling water; add molasses and apples. Arrange alternate layers of the sugar-butter mixture and apple mixture in a 9" pastry-lined pie pan, ending with the crumbly mixture. Bake at 375-400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until browned. Serve warm-plain or with ice cream.

I'll be at these swaps:
-Diningwithdebbie
-WeareThatfamily
-Kingscourt4
-Turningbacktheclock
-Kellythekitchenkop
-Thethriftyhome
-Abeautifulmess

***I spotted a copy of the Southern Plate cookbook, that I reviewed last Friday, at my local Walmart yesterday morning-in case you're looking for it.***

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the link up. I think Shoofly Pie is such a unique part of our heritage. My grandmother used to make it often, but I never have. Hmmm. Guess I'm headed there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had "shoefly"pie years ago, and still remember how delicious it was, but could never find a recipe. I will be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had this but I bet its great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You talked about your grandmother hanging noodles to dry.....Shofly pie is something my grandmother used to make all of the time. I think I have to copy this recipe! Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete