Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jackie's Fish Chowder

That's "The Jackie!" I happen to be thoroughly enjoying an old cookbook this week from 1963. It's called The Congressional Club Cookbook, and I won't give out much more about it today, because I plan to write a review on it for tomorrow's post. If you are a new reader to this blog, I usually review one of my old cookbooks every Friday; it's a clever way to trick myself into sorting through my huge accumulation of cookbooks! I hope you will enjoy this feature of my blog. I try to give the ISBN or catalog number so you can find that particular book if it appeals to you. Here's a sample recipe from this intriguing book from 1963.

Fish Chowder
(Page 334) Mrs. John F. Kennedy, Wife of former President of the United States

2 pounds haddock
2 ounces salt pork, diced
2 onions, sliced
4 large potatoes, diced
1 C chopped celery
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 quart milk
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Simmer haddock in 2 C water for 15 minutes. Drain. Reserve broth. Remove bones from fish. Saute diced pork until crisp, remove and set aside. Saute onions in pork fat until golden brown. Add fish, potatoes, celery, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Pour in fish broth plus enough boiling water to make 3 C liquid. Simmer for 30 min. Add milk and butter and simmer for 5 min. Serve chowder sprinkled with diced pork. Serves 6.

I will be at these swaps today:
-Lifeasmom
-Prairiestory

***Book I'm reading now: Maximize the Moment by T. D. Jakes (a WV native)***

1 comment: