Tuesday, January 18, 2011

French Dip Sandwiches-Easy and Cheap!

We had a nice, relaxing 3-day weekend around here thanks to MLK Day. By Sunday evening, I was really in relaxation mode. When it was time to start making dinner, I remembered that I had leftover brisket in the freezer, so I came up with an idea that sounded good to me and "Sunday Night Creation" was born. (I love to come up with new ways to use up leftover meats!)

Marcia's French Dip Sandwich-Easy and Cheap

1 pound of leftover beef (brisket is what I used)
1 can of Campbell's Select Harvest French Onion Soup (with caramelized onions)
Sandwich or sub buns
Provolone cheese (or whatever cheese you like)
Margarine
A little corn starch
Fresh spinach leaves

I threw the thin slices of beef into the crock pot, and dumped the can of soup over the meat. I set the pot on High and went back to relaxing. Ten minutes before we were ready to eat, I set my oven on 400 degrees and sprayed a baking sheet with cooking spray (I like olive oil). Next, I placed the buns in halves in a single layer; spread half with margarine and put a slice of provolone cheese on the other half. Next, put buns in the oven until cheese melts and buttered sides are toasted. Thicken onion soup and beef juices with a little corn starch. Place meat on buns and top with fresh spinach leaves if you like. I served this with baked waffle fries and everyone was happy! I think this beef and onion mixture would be equally delicious with mashed potatoes and green vegetable for a fancier meal.

I will be at these swaps today:
-BlessedwithGrace
-Gypsyscorner
-BeautyandBedlam
-Allthesmallstuff
-WhoisLaura
-33shadesofgreen
-Fudgeripple

5 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny we posted almost the same! I love the idea of adding spinach. Thanks for visiting my blog, can't wait to poke around yours to see what other great ideas you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. french dip is hubsters favorite sandwich...we search every menu for it. so happy to see this simple recipe...now i can easily make them at home. thank you for sharing at tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my kind of recipe. My boys love beef dip sandwiches.

    Stopping by from Tasty Tuesdays recipe linky

    ReplyDelete