Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Famous Pea Soup (w/ Ham)

I have a ham bone stashed way in my freezer (from the Christmas dinner). So when I found this recipe for Pea Soup in an old community cookbook that I have, it was a good fit. January is the perfect month for a pot of soup simmering on the stove. I talked to Mom this morning (who just happens to make the best vegetable soup anywhere!) and she said that WV is expecting several more inches of snow in the next two days. I know my mom well enough to know that Dad probably has some delicious soup or chili in his future during their snowy weather. Here's my recipe for today-stay warm!

Don Wray's Famous Pea Soup
St. Jude Parrish Cookbook

Ham bone, some meat and fat from bone
1 lg. onion, cut fine
1 stalk celery, cut fine
1/2 lb. split green peas
2 carrots, diced
3 potatoes, diced

Add peas to 1 1/2 to 2 qt. water. Add carrots and cook until peas fall apart. Add potatoes. Cook additional 15 min.

I'll be at these swaps today:
-Atthewell
-Gypsyscorner
-BeautyandBedlam
-Allthesmallstuff
-WhoisLaura
-33shadesofgreen

2 comments:

  1. Community cookbooks are the best aren't they? So many great recipes! Thanks so much for linking up with Tasty Tuesdays.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women(and men!) always share their best in those books

    ReplyDelete