Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chicken Mexicali



In our family, we are a "house divided" when it comes to our favorite part of the chicken. My oldest son, along with my husband and I, prefers the white meat. Our middle son likes the dark meat, and the youngest son, who I jokingly call, "Jethro" because of his tremendous appetite (that's just how 16-year-old boys are) will eat either type, including seconds ...and whatever piece is leftover in the fridge!

I had this recipe for a spicy chicken casserole in my clippings drawer, and realized that it's one of those great recipes where you use a cut-up chicken; you have the luxury of both light and dark meat in one dish. I hope to try this one soon.


Chicken Mexicali
Jan May, Sioux Valley Southeastern Electric

2-1/2 lbs. cut-up chicken
1 C long grain rice
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can tomato juice
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
4 TBSP melted oleo
1/2 C tomato juice

Sprinkle uncooked rice in a 9x13 pan (I will spray Pam on mine first). Pour melted oleo and tomato juice over rice. Mix 1 can enchilada sauce and 1 empty can filled with tomato juice together and pour over rice. Lay chicken on top and sprinkle with taco seasoning mix. Seal tight with foil. Bake for 2 1/2 hrs. at 325 degrees. Do not peek-leave sealed until done!



I will be at these recipe swaps today:
LifeasMom
Joyofdesserts

No comments:

Post a Comment