Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dinner In a Dish: Three Cheese Chicken


Oh! Have I got a great new theme for my posts! As I was digging through my old recipes from estate auctions, I found a pamphlet printed by the Oklahoma Natural Gas Company from the 1950's. It's called "Kitcheneering" and presents recipes for one-dish dinners that save energy and money.

Except for tomorrow's Old Cook Book Review and Menu Plan Monday, I will continue this theme next week. I will include the alterations that this particular cook has penciled-in, because I believe strongly in the skill and know-how of home cooks. I hope you all enjoy these old casserole recipes that can be made ahead of time and cooked in one dish.

Three Cheese Chicken Bake (She has extended this to make 2 dishes)

1 pkg. (12 oz.) lasagna noodles
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped green pepper
3 TBSP margarine
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 can (6 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 C chopped pimiento, drained (she omitted this item)
1/3 C milk
1/2 tsp dried bail, crushed
1 1/2 C cream-style cottage cheese (also omitted)
2 C diced cooked chicken
2 C shredded American (she used cheddar) cheese
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
(she added 1 C sour cream and 2 C mozzarella cheese)

-Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.

-Cook onion and pepper in margarine until tender (I do this in a heavy glass measuring cup in the microwave to save time and mess!).

-Stir in soup, mushrooms, pimiento, milk and basil.

-Lay half the noodles in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish; top with half each sauce, cottage cheese, chicken and cheeses.

-Repeat layers except for last two cheeses (cheddar and Parmesan).

-Bake in a 350 degree gas oven (electric will work, too, of coarse!) for 45 minutes.

-Top with cheeses; bake 2 minutes more. Makes 8 to 10 servings (more with this extended version in 2 dishes).


I will be at these swaps today:

LifeasMom
JoyofDesserts

5 comments:

  1. I agree, and I think the pimientos would make it pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great illustration too and I like their point of view -- "Be an ARTIST at the gas range."
    Glad you also included her alterations and your own too. Money-saving recipes will surely help many of us during this extreme recession with no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old cookbooks - and these recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete