Thursday, October 1, 2009

Potato Chip Breadsticks


Here we are on Thursday looking through my clippings box for something new to try; please don't look at the mess. These scraps of paper are really piling up. Hey, I think I've spotted something delicious-looking! It's a recipe for breadsticks...but not just your typical breadsticks; they're crunchy!

I've always liked the idea of something crunchy to accompany my soup in the fall, so as I looked at this clipping from an old issue of Taste of Home magazine, these Potato Chip Breadsticks sounded perfect!

The other thing that I like about this new recipe is that it's a way to use up those potato chip crumbs that usually get thrown away; you know, the bag's not empty, but there's not a substantial-sized chip left. This recipe calls for sour cream and onion flavored crumbs, but I will use whatever I have at the time.

I think if you wanted to save money on this idea, you could make your own bread dough, or use frozen dough. So many options, but what a great idea for breadsticks to go along with a meal, or as a snack, or a unique item for church finger-food fellowships! You could make up a batch of these for a party and then stick them in the oven when you're ready.

Potato Chip Breadsticks
Aneta Kish, Taste of Home Magazine Feb./March 2003

1 tube (11 oz.) refrigerated breadsticks
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 C crushed sour cream and onion potato chips

Unroll dough; separate into 12 breadsticks. Twist each breadstick three times and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Carefully brush with egg; sprinkle with potato chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen


I will be at these swaps today:
-LifeasMom
-Joy@JoyofDesserts

3 comments:

  1. Sounds GREAT!!! and what a YUMMY!!! addition to breadsticks. They will be GREAT!!! with any soup and salad. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this would be great with soup!Can't wait to see what you come up with for tomorrow's Momtrends Friday Food feature. My recipe is pork--until then!

    ReplyDelete