Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Friend, Christy's, Zucchini Bread


My sons, Justin and Blake, used to love a silly skit on Sesame Street where Cookie Monster used vegetables as phones, hats, and other items as he tried to figure out their real purpose. The skit ends when he learns that the vegetables make a delicious soup. These memories always bring me a smile when they pop into my head as I'm writing! Sesame Street was one of my favorite shows....for years (more than I care to admit)...through rearing three children. I still remember the lyrics to most of the songs.

How does this memory of Cookie Monster chatting into a squash connect to today's post? Well...sometimes after summer is over, we find ourselves so blessed with an abundance of produce that we're trying to find unique ways to use it up. When my two oldest boys were in the "Sesame Street age group" my friend Christy and I spent time swapping recipes on the phone (she had two little ones, also). She gave me this unique way to use zucchini that is still one of my favorites.

This bread is moist and delicious, and so sweet that even the boys would eat it, without a clue that it contained vegetables! I like to put either butter or cream cheese on it. Another reason that it's practical, is that it freezes well; you could make it into loaves now and freeze it for Christmas gifts and cookie tray additions, later. As Cookie Monster would say, "MMM...me like zucchinni bread...it delicious!"


Christy's Zucchini Bread

1 C oil
3 eggs
2 C sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of cloves
2 C shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1 C chopped walnuts, optional

Mix oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla; add dry ingredients and mix well. Add zucchini and nuts. Bake at 325 degrees in greased loaf pans for 1 hour. Makes 2 loaves.

I'll be joining these swaps today:
BlessedwithGrace
Gypsy's Corner
Raising4Godlymen
BalancingBeautyandBedlam

5 comments:

  1. These breads are wonderful ! I had 6 zucchinni plants this year. Yes, I did say 6 and I am sane. [0; I use them for sweet breads, pickles, and stir frys.

    Thanks for the great recipe !
    In Him<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Thanks for the great sounding recipe, I always have too many of these in my garden and am always looking for ways to use them up.
    I'll file this away for next year.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Cookie monster veggie soup story!
    Thanks for linking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... me like zucchini, too!
    Thanks for the yummy-looking recipe!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds tasty! Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete