Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mom's Creamed Chicken and Biscuits


I have a confession to make about the Fried Dill Pickles that I mentioned in yesterday's post; I secretly scoffed when I first heard about them. I'm not someone who eats much deep-fried food, for one thing, greasy food bothers my stomach. But let me tell you, when our friends ordered a plate of these pickles as an appetizer to share with the table, and I had to be encouraged just to try one...the next 12 or 25 I ate all on my own!! In retrospect, I should have offered to pay for that appetizer! These were the thin, ridged dill chips, coated in a light breading and very crisp and well-drained. Just addictive! They were served with ranch dressing, which just added to the "wow factor."
Thank you, Bryan and Kathy for introducing me to yet another food that I absolutely love, but shouldn't touch! It's on that list with Snickers Candy Bars, cheesecake and buttercream icing.

As I said yesterday, after my trip, it's back to the reality of meal planning and the other usual chores. As I was looking through my "Tried and True" recipe file box, I was reminded of a great chicken dish that my mom fixed when I was growing up.

During my college days when I brought my "boyfriend/future husband" home to meet the parents, he loved this dish (it may have sealed the deal on him proposing!) of course, he had some of my Mammam's Light Rolls, too...how deceptive...since I didn't make either of these items, at the time! I'm glad, however, that he could see my potential.


Mom's Creamed Chicken Over Biscuits

1 Large can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
Part of 1 regular-sized can of Swanson Chicken Broth (or milk)
2 C cooked chicken pulled from the bone (or leftover cooked chicken)
Pan of your favorite biscuits (or you can bake a can of refrigerated biscuits on top of this in the oven, if you're in a hurry)
salt and pepper, to taste.

In a large pot of salted water, cook chicken until done; place in a glass dish to cool some and pull meat from the bones. In a separate pot, put cream of chicken soup, gradually thinning it with a little of the broth, or milk if you desire; just thin it to a gravy consistency. Heat gravy mixture and add cooked chicken, cooking until hot and bubbly. Ladle over hot biscuits and add salt and pepper.

Note: You can make the gravy, add the chicken and then pour it into a glass casserole dish (greased) and place your refrigerated biscuits on top. Bake in the oven (according to biscuit directions for temp.) until biscuits are done.


Keep Smiling...it makes people wonder what you've been up to!

I'll be at these great recipe swaps today:
BlessedwithGrace
Balancingbeautyandbedlam
Thegypsy'scorner
Raising4Godlymen

3 comments:

  1. This looks like great comfort food!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT!!! EASY!!! recipe. I think everyone should EASY!!! recipes to make on BUSY!! days. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete