Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fried Dill Pickles


I have been on the hunt for the recipe that most resembles the pickles that I had in Texas last weekend. This version sounds the closest to what I had.
I thought I might try these pickles when we have company this weekend. Our whole family is excited and looking forward to a visit by my Aunt Vivian and Uncle Henry. They've been traveling with their RV group and called from the Grand Canyon to let us know that they're coming our way. This is the only part of either side of our family that got to come westward this year, so we can't wait to see them. The last time they were here was for our two older sons' graduations two years ago. It will be a treat to have some family here!

Fried Dill Pickles (found this through Google search on E-How)

1 qt. thin, ridged dill pickle slices, well-drained

In medium bowl: 2 eggs; 1 C milk; 1 tsp Lawry's Seasoning Salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Stir well and set aside.

In second bowl: 1 C cornmeal and 2 C flour; stir and set aside.

Dip pickles first in milk mixture, then dredge in flour mixture. Deep fry at 350 degrees or in heavy skillet on stove top with 1 1/2 C canola oil. Drain well on paper towels. Add a little more seasoning salt and pepper. Serve with buttermilk ranch dressing.

I will be at these recipe swaps today:

LifeasMom
Joy@JoyofDesserts


5 comments:

  1. Lawry's Seasoning is my favorite. I just tried make fried pickles. The kids wanted to try these after going to the State Fair and seeing some there. I combined all the ingredients together, not in to different bowls. I will have to try using this recipe. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure your recipe is delicious! However, My husband I went to Savannnah a couple years back. We weren't going to wait in line for 3 hours at Paula Deans rest but we did wait a few minutes at her brothers rest that he was operating at the time. While waiting I was scouring the menu and spotted fried dill pickles!!! WOW never even heard of them. They were supposed to be from Paula's recipe so they had to be good. We were then told that they were out of them!!!! Oh boy was I hurt. The waiter said he felt sorry for me and went back and asked the cook how to make them for me!!! I have made them several times and they are fabulous!!!!

    Batter: Beat an egg add buttermilk til it is runny and then add a little flour til it resembles pancake batter add a little salt and pepper to taste. Dip pickles by alternating between this batter and dry flour a couple times and drop in hot oil and deep fry til golden brown. Serve with ranch dressing while hot. I use dill spears and cut them in half and they are just the right size. Everyone has loved them and always beg me to make more. I will have to do that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I couldn't find your email. I just wanted to let you know, I passed a blog award on to you. You can find out more information at
    http://happynester.blogspot.com/2009/10/i-am-blown-away.html
    thanks Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca, I'm so excited to have this pickle recipe; thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Nester, thanks to you, too, for the award nomination!

    ReplyDelete