Friday, October 30, 2009

Bon Apetit's Too Busy to Cook?


I started my morning by learning to use my GPS in the car to track down an estate sale. Fortunately, I found two cookbooks at the sale that I'll review later; one about the cooking of historic Williamsburg, and one about the history of American cooking. Surprisingly, one of the cookbooks offered at the sale this morning was a copy of the same cookbook that I had read this week and am reviewing today-so I know that it's out there if you just hunt for it!


The subject of today's Old Cookbook Review is Bon Apetit's Too Busy To Cook? published in 1981 by The Knapp Press. Its ISBN is 0-89535-049-1. I really like the way this book is organized; very practical for the busy cook. There is not alot of text to bog you down. There is a brief introduction to each section of the book. For instance, it begins with appetizers and gives the reader tips on presentation and advice in mixing colors, textures and flavors to appeal to a wide array of tastes. After the introduction, the recipes follow in a continuous block-type format. There are several color photos and microwave recipes included.

This is an easy-to-follow cookbook for someone who likes to cook, but doesn't have extra time to spare. This "old cookbook" has a great selection of recipes to choose from, and I think it is well-worth the hunt!

Our sample recipe is for a quick version of spinach dip that doesn't require Knorr's Vegetable Dry Mix (which is something I don't usually stock in my pantry).


P. 2 Spinach Dip

One 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 C sour cream
1/2 C mayo
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of dried dill, optional
Salt
One 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
Assorted vegetables, cut-up or cubed pumpernickel bread (scooped from bread bowl)

Combine cream cheese and sour cream and blend well. Stir in mayo and soup mix. Add seasonings. Gently stir in spinach. Serve with vegetables, crackers or in a bread bowl with cubed bread.


I will be at these swaps today:
LifeasMom
Grocerycartchallenge
DesignsbyGollum
Momtrends
AnnKroeker.wordpress.com

2 comments:

  1. That old cookbook sounds great. I am off to Amazon to track it down now. ANd we thought we were busy today... and they were too busy to cook in 1980s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estate sales are a great place to find books. I just went to a great used book sale at my library and picked up 2 new cookbooks for $5! Thanks so much for linking up on Momtrends.

    ReplyDelete