Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sneaky Family Recipes for Adding Fruits and Veggies to Your Meals


I'm sorry that I'm running late on the blog today; had an event to attend this afternoon. But, although it's late afternoon here, I've got my family favorites to share with you. Hope your day has been going well.

Here are some family recipes to help you sneak some extra veggies or fruits into your meal plans:

Aunt Hazel's Vegetable Casserole

2 1/2 C green beans
3 1/2 C milk
1 1/2 C diced cooked potatoes
3/4 C grated cheddar cheese
6 slices crisp bacon
1 large onion, diced
6 TBSP flour
1 tsp salt
crushed corn flakes

Gradually add flour to bacon fat in sauce pan; blend well (I use a slotted spatula to keep the lumps out). Gradually add milk and cook until thickened. Stir continually adding cheese, salt and a little pepper(if you like.) Combine sauce and vegetables and pour into greased (a light spray of Pam does it) 2 qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle w/ crushed corn flakes. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 min. (Don't overcook the potatoes!)


Mom's (Shirley's) Ambrosia Salad

1 large pkg. lime or lemon Jello
12 large or 120 small marshmallows
1 small pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 C hot water
1 small can crushed pineapple or fruit cocktail
1 envelope of dry Dream Whip mix (I found this most recently at Krogers stores)
You can add chopped pecans if you like!

Stir hot water into jello. While hot, dissolve marshmallows and cream cheese in Jello and chill. Beat Dream Whip until stiff(per pkg. directions). Fold into Jello and fruit mixture. Refrigerate until set. Cut into squares and serve. This makes a very pretty salad or dessert. I always make it using the crushed pineapple.




This is a Jello Salad recipe that I got from a co-worker named Cindy Pritt when I was first married. She brought it to a luncheon at work and I thought it was delicious.


Cindy Pritt's Jello Salad

1 small box each of orange and lemon Jello
1 can crushed pineapple-drained
2 TBSP flour
1/2 C sugar
1 C pineapple juice
shredded coconut
grated American cheese
chopped nuts
2 pkg. of Dream Whip powdered mix

-Dissolve jello w/ 1 1/2 C boiling water. Add 2 C cold water. Add crushed pineapple, drained; let jell.
- Mix 1/2 C sugar, flour and pineapple juice in saucepan. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Whip 2 pkg. of Dream Whip w/ 1 C milk. Add pineapple mixture. Spread over Jello
-Sprinkle coconut, shredded cheese and nuts on top.

***************************************************************************************
Kudos to KAMZ for joining my "Followers" list! I'm up to 2! Come on you "Shrinking Violets"...stand up and be counted. I read the numbers each week on my counter; I know that you're out there! Don't be shy.
*************************************************************************************

I'm joining the recipe swap at BlessedwithGrace today!

5 comments:

  1. Must be the day for jello salads!! :) Sounds yummy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ambrosia salad. Reminds me of my Grandmother!! Thanks for participating in our TMTT Anniversary celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia.....I remember as a little girl, a lady in our church bringing the ambrosia salad. I loved it then and I haven't seen a recipe for it since! Thanks. By the way, I think you have some other great recipes on your site and I'm becoming a follower. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha, now I am a follower too. Thank you for the vegetable casserole. Sarahe4e

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all who are brave enough to"step-up" and join my band of followers!! I appreciate you very much.

    ReplyDelete