Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Aunt Sis' Whipped Topping is Cheaper and Always Available


I've given out several recipes lately that call for Cool Whip. I like Cool Whip, but sometimes I get ready to make a dessert, and there's none ahead in the freezer. That means that we either have to skip the dessert, or I have to make a run to the store. My Aunt Sis gave me this recipe years ago and I've made it many times. It is a great homemade whipped topping:

Aunt Sis' (Ruth Ann Martin) Homemade Whipped Topping

1. Put 1/2 C instant non-fat dry milk into a 1-qt. mixing bowl.
2. Add 1/2 C ice-cold water.
3. Beat with electric mixer at high speed until mixture stands in soft peaks, about 2 min.
4. Add 3 TBSP lemon juice.
5. Beat 3 TBSP sugar in gradually
6. Chill about 30 min.
Then serve as topping on fruit, Jello, shortcake or other desserts. Makes about 2 1/2 C. Note: I have used vanilla in place of the lemon juice for a milder flavor.

I have two recipes from Mammam Michael to share today. The first one is a recipe for sauerkraut that she used to make out at her friend, Leona Huffman's farm. Mammam would go out there and visit sometimes in the summer to help Leona ("Fuzzy") get her canning done. This is quickly jotted down as most old "receipts" are.


Mammam (Lina Michael) and Fuzzy's (Leona Huffman) Sauerkraut


Cut cabbage fine and pack pretty solidly in glass quart jars. To each jar add: 1 tsp salt 1 tsp sugar 1/4 C warm water, then seal tightly The sauerkraut will be ready for use in three weeks.



Another farm recipe to make your own hand cream.

Homemade Hand Cream Leona Huffman

2/3 C mutton tallow
1/3 C mineral oil

1 tsp Borax
3 TBSP water

You can add a nice aroma to this with some oil of Geranium. (I think you could probably add any essential oil that they sell in stores now, too.)


Have a good Tuesday!
I will be participating in BlessedwithGrace's recipe swap today.

No comments:

Post a Comment